In 1992, Soror Helen Wooten Bryant had a vision to organize another alumnae chapter in the Chicagoland area, and shared her vision with five Sorors: Past Grand Basileus Dr. Annie Lawrence Brown, Dr. Carrie Davis, Shirley Jones, Jacqueline Thweat-Pippion and Linda Williams. A clarion call was sounded to 40 more exemplary Sigma women. On August 16, 1992, these 40 dynamic women, along with the six founding Sorors, charted one of the largest graduate chapters in Sigma Gamma Rho history, and thus Eta Xi Sigma Alumnae Chapter, Oak Lawn, Illinois, was born. These visionary women, led by their dynamic founding Basileus, Helen Wooten-Bryant, saw an opportunity to further the goals of our Founders by expanding the community services offered by Sigma Gamma Rho throughout the cities of Oak Lawn and Chicago, Illinois.
Eta Xi Sigma Alumnae Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Incorporated is a chapter that believes in exceeding expectations in everything that we do. It is important to our chapter to support and promote the aims and goals of Sigma, be of service to others in the community and continue our own growth and development individually and as a chapter.
As a chapter, we have decided to come together in solidarity of membership and be known as Sigma Ship Exceeding Expectations (S.S.E.E.). We are Sorors who:
- Are seasoned members and new members.
- Are legacies and women who were completely new to sorority life.
- Joined as undergrads and became members at the graduate level.
- Are past and present International and Regional officers.
- Are past and present International and Regional committee chairpersons and members.
Eta Xi Sigma Alumnae Chapter of Sigma Gamma Rho, Sorority Inc has had collaborative relationships with several community and national organizations. Eta Xi Sigma would love to have you support any of our community service projects, educational programs or social activities. Please click on our calendar of events for more information.
Basileus: Nai Colton
2014-2016 Executive Board:
- Dr. Ericka Patterson, 1st Anti-Basileus
- Stephanie Reid, 2nd Anti-Basileus
- -vacant-, 3rd Anti-Basileus
- Diana Harrigan, 4th Anti-Basileus
- Brittany Norwood, Grammateus/Retention
- Monshea Aguirre, Tamiochus
- Cortney Rush, Anti- Grammateus
- Debra Wilburn, Assistant Grammateus
- Tracy Oray, Assistant Anti-Grammateus
- Barbara Townsend, Epistoleus
- Jacki Stennis-Moore, Archivist / Philo Affiliate Co-Advisor
- Jo Ann Hawkins White, Parliamentarian (Past Basileus)
- Sydney J. Golliday, Sergeant-at-Arms
- Angela Dixon, Chaplain
- Tammi McChristion, Rhoer Club Advisor
- Keisha French, Programming Chair / Reclamation
- Bertina Booker, Nominations Chairperson
- Peggy Ellzey, Elections Chairperson
- Linda Brown, Philo Affiliate / Co-Advisor (Past Basileus)
- Sandra Kelly, (Past Basileus)
- Dr. Patricia Daniels, (Past Basileus)
- Helen Wooten-Bryant, (Founding Basileus)
Mailing Address: PO Box 522, Oak Lawn, Illinois 60454
Business meetings for Sorors are held every third Saturday of the month. Please Contact Us for further information.