Giving service to others is not an option, but a requirement for Sigma Gamma Rho and our Sorors are dedicated to improving the communities in which we reside. Our service objectives are carried out through advocacy, public education and a variety of projects and activities held to address the needs of our citizens. It is our foremost responsibility to give back to and support the men, women, and children that form the communities in which we live.
Recently, Sigma Gamma Rho has actively responded to civic justice and social reform events by establishing the Golden Alert interactive program. Golden Alert enables our sorority to remain actively engaged in social justice topics and find solutions to issues that are impacting the community and our youth. In partnership with the National Organization of Black Law Enforcement Executives (NOBLE), the Central region of Sigma Gamma Rho sorority held interactive workshops, panel discussions and a voter registration drive in Chicago and St. Louis earlier this year.
Eta Xi Alumnae chapter and its affiliates (Philos and Rhoers) strive to put our community first through year-round efforts such as:
* Our Annual Bras and Bagels Breast Cancer Awareness Event and Fashion Show
* Partnership with State Farm Insurance to host a Teen Driver Safety Fair
* Annual Youth Symposium which encompasses multiple health and safety workshops for local area high school students
* Project Cradle Care to provide car seats, necessities and valuable information to young mothers
* Sponsorship and participation in the Annual March of Dimes fund raiser and walk-a-thon
* Swim 1922 Water Safety Program in partnership with USA Swimming for drowning prevention
* Support of the National Pan-hellenic Council, Inc of Chicago and their efforts to collaborate with other fraternities and sororities to serve the community
* Hosts of other community services events including coat drives, food pantry volunteer work, mentoring, fund-raising, and philanthropic efforts
*OBB – Operation BigBookBag is another international project in which local chapters provide selected schools and other facilities across the nation with book bags, notebooks, school supplies, reference books, textbooks, computers and many other school necessities.